Thursday, November 10, 2011

11/08/11: YaYa's

"Nov. 8: Thankful for my YaYa's: Arlene Allen, Nina Johnson, and Cindy Prince.  Love my 'old' friends! LOL!"


Yesterday, I wrote about being thankful for a new dear friend.  Today, I am writing because I am thankful for my "old" dear friends.  Even though I am blessed still to be friends with several people I have known for years, I am writing about my YaYa's, Arlene, Nina, and Cindy.


I call them my "old" friends for two reasons.  First, I have known them over 20 years.  Second, because they all are older than I am (even though they don't look it), and I take every opportunity I can to rub it in, precisely because they don't look it!


We started calling ourselves YaYa's because we all got together for a girls' weekend, and that's the movie we watched.  About 8 people were supposed to be there, but for various reasons it ended up being just the four of us, and we have done things together ever since.  We try to get together every 3-4 months, but that rarely happens.  We may not see each other much, but when we do, we just pick up where we left off.  Yes, like the movie YaYa's, we have goofy names.  I won't tell anyone else's but I will share mine, Princess Enigma.  That's because I am the Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the others.  One of these things is not quite the same."  Yep that's me.


These women are the best sisters an only child never had.  They were with me around the clock when my dad was in the hospital right before he died.  They had it planned that I would not be alone, so they were upset with themselves that they had gone home to sleep after days and nights of being by my side, only to have my dad die with only Dave and me in the room.  That was God's plan, not theirs.  They took me to Florida two days after my dad's funeral, helped me laugh, held me when I cried.  Nina still has both parents.  I was with Cindy when her dad passed and with Arlene when her mom did.  That's because we are family.  And if the time comes for Nina to need us at that time, we will be there.


Between the three of them, I think they know me completely.  Well, almost completely.  They know my most shameful parts of my past and loved and edified me completely.  They know my weaknesses and my strengths.  I don't know if they know my dreams and fantasies, though.  I usually keep those hidden quite well, but if any were to guess, it would be them.  


Several years ago, our world was shaken when Arlene was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  I always say that I willed her to live, and if I could have I would have.  I refused to consider the possibility that she would die.  I refused to acknowledge that, even when she sat me down and made me help her plan her funeral.  I did, but I would not allow myself to believe that it could happen soon.  This was for many years later, and everything would change by then.  I could shave her head and make her eat pudding, but I refused to allow her to die or think that it was a foregone conclusion.  Arlene, I don't have the faintest clue what you told me about your funeral, so if you want me to know your wishes for when you die, you'll have to tell me again.  I may not remember them now either, so I suggest writing them down.  (FYI:  Yes, she beat it.  She stared that disease down the barrel and defied it to take her.  Cancer backed down because it realized it had come across a formidable foe and it had no chance.  She's still cancer free and does not require scans anymore.  Another praise to the blessings of God!)


I met Arlene when she was pregnant with her daughter.  I played for her wedding this spring and she was the most beautiful bride.  Cindy was supposed to be in the delivery room with David and me until it was obvious that they were going to have to go in and get Jadyn because he was just too fat, happy, and content to come out on his own.  Dave and I visited Nina on a 4-wheeler in a foot of snow right after we found out I was pregnant, and I thought she was going to kick my pregnant self all the way across town.  We have rejoiced with all four of Cindy's grandchildren.  Yep...we've shared a lot.


We've experienced a lot together.  It's not always been easy.  We've had our very tough times, sometimes as a group, sometimes between individuals in our group.  But one thing is for certain: No matter how tough the times, the bonds of our friendship were stronger.  You are my sisters in Christ as well as in life, and I love you all so much.


YaYa!

No comments:

Post a Comment