Monday, November 7, 2011

11/04/11: Son

"Nov. 4: Thankful for my son, Jadyn.  (And, Laura Thompson Robertson, I do plan to blog details.  Consider this my "outline"!  LOL!)"  There it is...my crappy excuse to my dear friend.  (Taking a moment to hang my head in shame...OK!  Done!)


In January 2000, I went to my GYN to schedule a laparoscopy to see if there were a physiological reason I was not getting pregnant.  My GYN, Dr. Sharon Keith, asked if I could be pregnant.  I laughed and said no.  She asked how long since my last cycle, and when I said 6 weeks, she said, "That's nothing for you."  She walked out to schedule but came back in the room.  "Have you been sick in the mornings?"  Nope.  She left again.  She came back again.  "Are your (girls) sore?"  Nope.  She left again.  She came back again.  "Here.  Pee in the cup."  Ok.  Pee.  Wash hands.  Sit down and read magazine.


In walks nurse.  "Julie, this is positive."  
Me:  "Do another one."
RN: "Are you serious?"
Me: "Look.  I'm a shrink and I know about false positives.  Do another one."
RN: "It's positive."
Me:  Stare...stunned...
Dr. Keith comes back in the room.
Me: "Sharon, there are two pluses in the bathroom."
MD: "You're pregnant."
Me: "Uh-huh."
MD: "You know what I'm worried about?"
Me: "Ectopic?"
MD: "I'll get the vaginal ultrasound ready."


Me: Called Dave.
Dave: "Hello."
Me: "Hon, there are two positive pregnancy tests here."
Dave: "Whose?"
Me: "Ours!"


And so began our path of parenthood.


Jadyn is the most precious gift either one of us could imagine, but since this is my blog, I am going to write about what he means to me.  Let Dave get his own blog!  


As I write, Jadyn is 11 and in his drama class that he attends after school at Arkansas Baptist where he is in 5th grade.  I love that kid.  I LIKE that kid!  I like hanging out with him!  He and I just returned from a trip to New York City.  I mean I really like that kid!


Jadyn is such a neat kid.  He is quick with an "I love you" as well as a hug, even in front of his friends!  His understanding of people blows me away and his empathy is astounding.  He doesn't mind being different, having chosen the non-traditional sport of Taekwondo rather than the more traditional sports of football, basketball, baseball, and even soccer.  He rarely needs correction, and when he does he receives it well.  When he is angry, even at me, he talks to me. When he is disciplined, he thinks about it and learns from it.  He's a far better person than I am!


Jadyn brings so much happiness into our lives.  He completes our family.  I can't remember what life was like without him, nor do I ever want to know!   I pray for his safety--physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  I pray that he continues to grow in wisdom and discernment.  I pray that he continues to surround himself with great friends.  I pray for his future wife, that she loves God and him completely.  I pray she loves us, too!  


No, this isn't a long blog post.  Yes, it is barely scratching the surface.  If I were to go into all that I am thankful for regarding my son, I would blow up with Internet!  Who knows?  Perhaps future November blog posts will contain specifics.


Jadyn, I love you more than the sand and the stars!

1 comment:

  1. Good thing you didn't bury him in the backyard the other night. Whew...that was a close one. Love that we can love our boys no matter what...and that "what" encompasses a lot of stuff. So glad that my son got knocked out by your son and that they became best friends. Best. Story. Ever.

    ReplyDelete