Thursday, November 10, 2011

11/06/11: Husband's Provision for a New Path

"Nov. 6: Thankful for a husband who provided a way for me to bust out of a work rut and explore different roads."


I didn't put this with my post about how thankful I am for Dave because I was saving this part specifically for this post.  Dave always has been such a hard worker.  He is a mechanical genius, and no I am not exaggerating.  I've heard him diagnose heavy truck problems simply by listening to the engine noise over the phone and being able to tell the other guy not only what exactly was wrong but which wire to look for and what to expect to find.  I don't know about you, but that's genius in my book.


Anyway, Dave always has been a hard worker and a good provider, but because of the nature of his job, he has not always been able to provide one thing we need, good health insurance.  Either where he worked wouldn't have good insurance or we both knew that for various reason his tenure would not be long (e.g., type of work environment, too much travel, etc.). So, I stayed at my former job primarily for the benefits, especially during the past four years.  Sure, it was a good place to work, but it was becoming more obvious to me with each passing year that the fit wasn't right.  I love the people and even loved what I did, but pieces were missing that could not be placed while I was there.


When Dave took a position at Riggs Caterpillar, that was my liberation.  The health insurance he had was better than what I could provide, and he had found a wonderful place to work.  We talked and agreed that it was time for me to turn the responsibility of benefits over to him and to explore career options available to me.


My first path was as the consulting psychologist for the Southeast Arkansas Human Development Center in Warren, AR.  I love it there!  I love what I do there!  I love data analysis, evaluating Quality Indicators, consulting with the staff, and writing behavior programs for the residents.  I get to go in my little office and lose myself for hours in data and writing.  This is such a refreshing change from being a therapist, not that I mind being a therapist but having been one full time for 17 years had taken its toll and I had reached burn out, bad burn out.  I felt like a shell of a person.  Even though I loved the therapy work I did, I needed something work-related that met my need, and for now my need is solitude.  Recently, I was asked to be part of a working group that will be writing the behavior management policies for the HDCs in the state, and I am very stoked about that!


I knew I needed a nest, a place in Little Rock where I could go and, you guessed it, just be alone.  I needed my books and writing notebooks surrounding me.  I needed a place of peace, a sanctuary where I could retreat and think, focus on myself a bit.  This really isn't as self-absorbed as it sounds.  I wanted to think about what I wanted to do with my career at this time in my life. I needed my space physically as well as in my own mind.  I talked about having healthy boundaries with patients, and it was time for me to establish some for myself.  So, I have a nest at the SoHo Centre on West Markham, Suite B3 to be exact, and it is right next door to one of my great friends, Dr. Jody Hagen.  


I had not even been away from the Rice Clinic (former Rice-Lewis Clinic) for a full week and I was approached by a physician friend about some possibilities.  One I followed up and it is very promising.  The other still is in the works.  But that's just it...I'm working on something NEW, and I desperately needed to stretch myself, to work in another direction, to achieve something different.  I needed variety to prevent the burn out that I have endured, and variety is what I am getting.


Yes, I do hope to have a small practice some day.  I have a few technicalities to work through but it will happen.  I'm not sure when but it will.  And, yes, it will be right here in my little nest at SoHo Centre, where there is a free coffee bar as a perk!


So, during this time of reflection, I am thankful for the provision my husband has given, knowing that all blessing are provided by God.  I don't know what my future holds, but He does.  I am confident that as long as I am being wise, my efforts will be rewarded and for me, rewards take many forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment