Thursday, November 10, 2011

11/07/11: Laura

"Nov. 7: So thankful for my friend, Laura Thompson Robertson, whose iron sharpens mine in so many ways."


In my "Parents" post, I repeated one parenthetical phrase "(more on that later)".  Well, it's later, and Laura is it.  As Laura put it, "Best. Story. Ever" is that our sons were friends and became best friends after my son knocked out her son at extended care and gave him a concussion.  Yes, the first time I ever saw Laura, she was pushing Tucker in a wheelchair and passed me standing by a tearful Jadyn and the first conversation went something like this:


Me: "I'm so sorry."
Laura: "That's ok."


There's the making of a great friendship, I tell ya!  


The boys were in second grade.  I think the next time I actually spoke to Laura was when they boys were in the same third grade class.  I re-introduced myself as the mom of the kid who knocked out her son and apologized again.  She said, "Are you kidding me?  That was the best thing that ever happened to Tucker!  Sure his brothers have been to the ER before, but he's the only one who ever had a concussion and he still reminds them of that!"  I loved her for that.


Even with the above story, Laura and Jim allowed Tucker to come to our house to spend the night with Jadyn.  They got along great!  This mother's heart was overflowing because I had been praying that Jadyn would find that "best friend," that buddy that just "fit."  I could tell by the way they interacted that Tucker was that buddy.  I didn't say anything; I just praised God, you know, a just-between-God-and-me kind of thing.


It was either the next night or the next weekend, I can't remember, and Tucker invited Jadyn to his house.  Again, they had a wonderful time.  When I picked up Jadyn, Laura and I began talking about our boys.  She said that even though Tucker had talked about a lot of friends, Jadyn was the first he referred to as his "best friend."  She talked about how they had played together wonderfully, even all four of them!  Then she said something I'll never forget: "I have been praying that Tucker would find that best friend that he just clicked with, and I think Jadyn's that friend."  I couldn't believe it!  I knew right then that not only would our boys be great friends but that Laura and I would be, too.  I shared with her that I had been praying the same thing for Jadyn and had thanked God for providing Tucker.  Now THAT'S the way a truly intimate friendship starts, prayer.


From that time on, Laura and I have gotten to know each other well.  We have had lunch together more times than I can count.  We hung out at her kitchen table while our boys went sledding (because the snow didn't make it to Malvern that year).  We talk on the phone and text.  We share burdens, hopes, weaknesses, and triumphs.  We tell each other it's normal to want to beat our boys, husbands included!  We know when NOT to call each other because we would be the ones who end up in a holding cell together saying, "Yeah...it was worth it!" We've prayed together.  We've even thought of writing together.  A link to her blog is on my page, and I highly recommend it.


She is a wonderful friend not only because we have things in common but because we are so different.  We make each other think differently.  It frightens her sometimes when she has what she calls "a Julie Moment" and she puts her hands to her head, shakes it, and makes a noise somewhere between a growl and a groan.  Not sure how to take that one, my friend!  I like it when I think like her because her faith and belief are so unshakable.  She is the one who wouldn't take my weak excuse of FB outline and challenged me to write it.  Sharpened once again, I'm writing.


Laura, my life is so much more blessed with you in it, and I am so grateful to know my sister in Christ now rather than having to wait and meet you in Heaven.  I NEED you now; in Heaven, not so much I think.  I love you, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment