Monday, November 7, 2011

11/03/11:Husband

"Nov. 3: Thankful for my husband and that I married my best friend."  FB...outline...yadda yadda...


David.  I don't even know where to begin.  Perhaps the beginning is good.  It had to be God's plan that we marry because even our meeting was so unlikely it is beyond mere coincidence.  David is 6 years younger than I, so we did not meet until after I moved back to Arkansas from graduate school.  After all, when I was in 5th grade, Dave was in kindergarten, a fact which freaked out my son's best friend, Tucker.  (His mom is Laura, and her blog's link is on my page.  I highly recommend her blog!)  Well, I couldn't let it rest, so I told Tucker that our prom picture was really funny because I rested my arm on top of Dave's head and my dress was wrinkled because I had to hold it over my shoulder while David doubled me on his bicycle because he wasn't old enough to drive.  "Are you serious?"  No, Tucker.  "Oh..." (puzzled expression on his face...)  Gotta love kids, or at least messing with their minds!  At least I do.


Dave and I met at church and quickly became the best of friends.  Our mutual friends encouraged us to date but we both were hesitant because we didn't want to ruin our friendship.  So, when he came over to my apartment and asked if I wanted to date him, we talked about how to preserve our friendship if we ever broke up.  Then we watched "Shawshank Redemption."  And we've forgotten our plan of what to do if we ever broke up. 


Dave and I dated 6 months when we decided to get married.  When we went to tell my parents we were getting engaged, I saw my dad's brain liquefy and drain to lower regions of his anatomy.  Dad said, "Married?!  You're not even engaged!"  "That's what this is, dad," I told him.  Then I promptly added, "I'm not asking for your permission, but I am asking for your blessing."  At this point I witnessed Dave's insides liquefy and drain to lower regions of his anatomy.  I wasn't being disrespectful of my dad, I promise.  At least that wasn't my intention.  I was 28 and had been living on my own for several years!  Give me a break!  Needless to say, we received their blessing and six months later were married.


We've been married 12 great years, 16 total but 12 great ones!  Seriously, we are about to celebrate our 16th anniversary.  It hasn't been smooth sailing; in fact we have weathered some really big storms.  However, I am grateful to have a husband who worked just as hard as I did to keep our ship afloat in storms that have sunk others.  We still are best friends.  We choose to hang out with each other.  We laugh, bicker, argue, love.  We bring out the best in each other, and the worst.  We have grown together as a couple and as individuals.  I am thankful he is the father of my son, establishing a legacy of fatherhood that he did not have, or should I say the antithesis of the one he did have.


Dave, you have been my rock, my anchor, my wings.  If you were to ask me again to marry you, I would not hesitate in saying yes.  I look forward to a lifetime with you.



1 comment:

  1. Loved "we have forgotten what our plan was if we broke up." If only everyone would do that...

    ReplyDelete