Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lessons from Rev. Tom Kurai

On Good Friday, I was fortunate to be introduced to Taiko by one of the masters, Rev. Tom Kurai.  Taiko is Japanese drumming.  Think "Beijing Olympics" and you get the picture.  He wrote soundtracks for movies such as "The Last Samurai" and "Memoirs of a Geisha" as well as music ranging from video games to parts of rock music.  Rev. Tom Kurai founded the Taiko Center in Las Angeles and is the head abbot of the Sozenji Buddhist Temple in Montebello, CA.  Taiko involves so much more than having rhythm.  From the way you stand to the way you hold the bachi (or "sticks" to us Americans), taiko involves the whole person--body, mind, and soul.  

As I listened to Rev. Tom play the taiko and then was able to play myself, I understood the physics principle that energy can neither be created nor destroyed.  As the energy flowed from deep within, through my arms, through the bachi, through the drum, returning to my body as vibrations of sound to my ears and movement to my hands, I got it.  I really got it.  If given the chance, I could have played those drums for hours.  I would have exhausted myself, but I would have played until I absolutely could not lift a finger.  It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

As I reflected on this experience throughout Easter weekend, I began to comprehend on an even deeper level what Jesus meant when asked what the greatest commandment was.   "Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together.  One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 'Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?' Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment'" (Matthew 22:34-38).  Loving God fully is a whole body experience, with ALL my heart, ALL my soul, ALL my mind.  

I can do the mind thing.  I think all the time.  You could call me a Zen Christian!  Sure I read the Bible and know scripture, but I always have been drawn to verses such as Psalm 49:3 "My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding" and Proverbs 4:7 "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom; but with all thy getting, get understanding," and Psalm 19:14  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer." I got it Friday.  I experienced it.  I meditated upon it.  I understood it.

Easter Sunday morning, as I worshiped as part of the Geyer Springs First Baptist Church Celebration Choir, I remembered my experience with Rev. Tom and taiko.  I felt the energy as it flowed from my soul, through my lungs into song. I envisioned it ascending to the throne of God, presented as a gift of gratitude to my Savior, Jesus Christ, and having it returned to me in the form of hope, love, mercy, and grace.  Talk about worship!

No comments:

Post a Comment